Does Santa Like Imported Christmas Trees Better?
Updated: Dec 14, 2021
The Christmas Tree Promotion Board is providing the following information to improve accuracy and knowledge of the importation of Christmas trees in accordance with the Christmas Tree Promotion, Research and Information Order.
What are the three Christmas Tree Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTS) codes?
• 0604.20.0020 – Evergreen Christmas Trees: Douglas Fir
• 0604.20.0040 - Evergreen Christmas Trees: Fir except Douglas Fir
• 0604.20.0060 - Evergreen Christmas Trees: Other
These codes should not be used for fresh wreaths and boughs (“brush”), as well as other products that are not Christmas trees.
What is the Christmas Tree Promotion Board Checkoff?
• The Christmas Tree Promotion Board (CTPB) is a mandatory Research and Promotion Program authorized under U.S. law that took effect in 2014.
• It is administered by the CTPB with oversight by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
• Under the Checkoff, assessments are paid by domestic Christmas tree producers, as well as importers.
How is the assessment collected from importers?
• Assessments for most R&P programs are collected by U.S. Customs and Border Protection, however the automatic collection for imported Christmas trees has not yet been established, so the importer pays the CTPB directly.
• The CTPB depends on US Customs reports after the shipping season to determine how many fresh Christmas trees are imported and to identify the “Importer of Record;” the responsible party for paying the assessment.
Also, be sure and check out our educational videos on our YouTube page.